Italian Climate Network - UNFCCC Conferences
Italian Climate Network (ICN) regularly attend the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) Conferences with a delegation of young observers. The delegation provide support to the ICN’s advocacy action and media coverage of the conference with detailed insights on the ongoing negotiations and side event topics.
The association started its advocacy work on intergenerational equity during the 19th Conference of the Parties (COP 19) of the UNFCCC held in Warsaw, Poland, in 2013. The initiative, ran in cooperation with many other youth climate movements worldwide, had the ambitious goal of introducing of the principle into the Paris Agreement and then to maintain its presence in the international debate on climate change. The principle was first introduced into the negotiating text during COP20 held in Lima, Perù, and then maintained in the preamble of the treaty agreed in Paris during the COP21 in 2015. These major achievements are the result of intensive advocacy work at national and international level. Italian Climate Network has also received the endorsement of Italian Minister for the Environment Gian Luca Galletti , who signed a specific declaration to support the principle during COP21.
Italian Climate Network is now advocating for the implementation of the intergenerational equity principle, and developing a new advocacy strategy related to human rights and health.
As observer at the UNFCCC COP21 (Paris), COP22 (Marrakesh), SB46 (Bonn) my contributions to the ICN’s activities have been so far:
- In-depth analysis of the negotiations, focusing on gender equality and human rights principles implementation
- Writing articles and media content production for the ICN’s technical bulletin and website
- Speaker at the side event “ACE in action: examples of youth leadership on climate change education and awareness creation” during the UNFCCC SB46 in Bonn, 2017
- Liaising and collaborating with UNFCCC Women and Gender Constituency
- Developing the new ICN’s advocacy action for the implementation gender equity principles
- ICN’s spokesperson on gender and human rights topics (release of interviews for Rai News 2015, Lifegate and Giornalisti nell’Erba 2016)
For more info please visit the Italian Climate Network’s website